For our first Past, Present, and Future segment, we’ll be talking with Maria Stephanos. Maria is currently the lead female anchor at WFXT-TV FOX 25 News, and anchors the evening newscasts alongside Mark Ockerbloom.
Maria has been with the station since they launched their newsroom in 1997. She previously worked for WJAR-TV in Providence, and has also had radio stints in New York City. Maria received an Associated Press award in 2000 for her feature reporting, and holds a Master’s degree in Mass Communications from Emerson College.
1. What moments in your past do you think have helped you get to where you are today?
My Grandparents owned a mom and pop store where they would talk/debate to EVERYBODY about the stories of the day. I spent a lot of time in that store learning and loving the discussion. It was inevitable I would carry on the tradition!
2. What was your favorite assignment before coming to Boston?
It’s a toss up between covering Buddy Cianci’s corruption trial and the Cranston little leaguers going all the way to the World Series. (I went with them, it was awesome)
3. What is the best part about working at FOX25?
The best part is working with the most tenacious people in the business. We started in this powerhouse of a market where EVERYBODY watched Channel 4, 5 and 7. I am so proud to part of the success story of Fox 25.
4. What is your favorite assignment that you have had so far at FOX25?
I loved doing my Real People Real Stories segment. It gave me a chance to meet some of the greatest people around.
5. If you could interview one person (they can be dead or alive), who would you choose and why?
My interview list is too long to pick one!
6. If you could have gone into a different career, what would it have been?
I would’ve either run for public office or opened a little Greek restaurant.
7. What are your ambitions for your career’s future?
I never know what tomorrow will bring, the sky is the limit!
No endorsement is implied or intended with our Past, Present, and Future segments.